8/27/2007

What I Did This Summer...




I will give a quick run-down as to what I was so consumed with this summer that I did not post anything for a small lifetime...
1. Kindergarten graduation. I know that I put on a big post with pictures and videos from the grand event, but it really did take a lot out of me. That, combined with just ending a school year, made me feel like I was in need of a break.
2. Summer School. When one feels overwhelmed and needs a good break from school for awhile, what do you do? Teach summer school. Okay, that did not make much sense in that context, but it really was a nice way to have something to occupy my days (Mon-Thurs. from 8:00-11:30 for 3 weeks) as well as put a little extra money in the bank. So, while summer school kept me busy during the mornings, I was kept busy in the afternoons by...
3. Moving. Moving is always a mixed feeling for me. On one hand, it is always fun because I have something fresh & new in store for me in the near future. On the other hand, its horrible because it is moving. This move was kept entertaining though because I had to do it riding public transportation, taking one suitcase and one back-pack full of things at a time down from El Hatillo to my new neighborhood in the city. I would spend half of my time in El Hatillo and the other half of my time in the new house, and yet I was having a great time living this sort of half life with half of my stuff.
4. Working with Manos Extendidas. The main reason that I felt like I needed to stay for a good portion of the summer is that I feel like my free time with pay is something that God has blessed me with, so I want to use it in serving others. I just couldn't see myself hanging around the U.S. with all of its malls and shopping for more than two weeks, and my friends are rather scattered now since college so I really couldn't travel to one area (like St. Augustine) and see a ton of my friends. But anyways, with my free time I did a lot of volunteering with the feeding centers as well as get to know the staff much better, which was really great.
5. Manos Extendidas Benefit Night. One would think that with only two weeks in the states that I would be relaxing the whole time with nothing to do but read, spend time with friends, and become a bronzed beach goddess. While all of these things are great, I cannot keep still and cannot be without something to do for more than 3 or 4 days. Leah and I planned a HUGE benefit night for the organization, and we were able to raise $1,400 as well as acquire some sponsors for the children there at the feeding centers. We had one week to plan it, and somehow it came together and was an amazing blessing for us as well as for the ministry. Starting out, I remembered thinking that if I could come back to Honduras with a check for $400 to hand the ministry, I would be thrilled. But good thing that God is so much bigger because even with being a self-proclaimed dreamer, my goal was more than 2/3 short of what God wanted to bless us with. For everyone who was there and able to participate, I cannot say thank you enough for what you did.
6. Visiting people. I was able to see some friends from high school (Tracy & Rob...although Rob is more high school friend by proxy), college friends (Tara, Rachel, & Marilyn) as well as family members that sadly enough I have not seen in years (my Pompano crew). It also goes without saying that I was able to visit my church family as well as my real family, and the reception I received was wonderful.
7. La Ceiba: Please see above post for more details.

So, I feel like that is about it. I'll let you know if I can think of anything else in the meanwhile. Keep on checking (I promise that now with internet in my house that I will be much better about keeping everyone posted) and keep on commenting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it seems each new adventure is more awesome than the last, which seems impossible...wow! BIG PAPI