3/10/2008

Madrina

Here's a quick little story.

One day at the feeding center I had a mother of a 8 year-old girl come and grab my hand, and lead me around the building. She pushed a piece of paper into my hand, and asked if I would buy her daughter's school supplies because she had no money. School just started a couple of weeks ago, and the list included things like notebooks, a dictionary, colored pencils, and somewhat normal school supplies. I could not turn her down, but I knew that my personal money was low and that I would not be paid for another week or so. At the time it seemed like a big $20 sacrifice, but this past Saturday I went to the feeding center once again, and once again I was pulled around the back of the building so that no one could see us. She gave me a huge hug, and brought out her daughter who called me "Madrina Micaela," which means Godmother. They said that they now pray for me every night in their house.

Worth every centavo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should write a book....just my opinion!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi Macayla,
I loved your blog about your experience in Honduras. I still dream of going to Copan. One of my students in Detroit has relatives that still live there. It looks beautiful.
I am glad that you realize how God has placed you there for a reason. My wife now teaches kindergarten in Kauai after teaching Spanish at Detroit Southwestern for 21 years.
May your teaching career exceed your wildest dreams. The invitation for you and your boyfriend to visit Kauai is quite real. You have a humble room free since the hotels in Hawaii are very expensive. I invite you to visit my website and blog at www.atriskstoriesofhope.com/blogs.
Todo es posible con la ayuda de Dios. Aloha, Hector Tapia Perez