7/23/2006

I Like My Weekends Just How I Like My Chocolate

I guess this weekend was my last hoorah while still being a U.S. citizen. It was rather action packed, yet totally relaxing. No work, no customers, no real agenda…just an opportunity to see where I was lead exactly. I didn’t even really plan where I’d be staying the night because as I saw it, St. Augustine for me is just a sea of couches for me to crash on.

I got to hang out with quite a few friends, and I was actually able to stay Friday night in this totally posh house in Jacksonville with my friend Taylor. This mansion had a hot-tub and the most amazing panoramic view of the St. Johns overlooking the lit-up downtown skyline. I especially think that Jacksonville’s downtown looks just beautiful and alive because of all the col
ored lights that are all over the bridges and lighting up all of the roads. When Jacksonville was the host of the Superbowl last year, the city really over-did itself with making the downtown area surrounding the stadium look amazing, and I was definitely able to enjoy that my riverside mansion.

Saturday I did a little shopping in Five Points, one of my favorite places in Jax, and hung out with my friends Ali,
Dan, Ashley, and Katie. That night we went dancing at TSI, and I knew going into it that it would be my last night of dancing since I signed an agreement with the school I’m working for in Honduras not to go out to any nightclubs. It was completely awesome, and to give you any indication of how much fun I had, just take a look at this guy, who is a regular from what I can tell. He was totally fun, and I think he is the happiest person I have ever come across. Ever.

Sunday we got up and celebrated my friend Ashley’s birthday by creating abstract art with paint, balloons, and darts. I don’t even think further elaboration is necessary.


On my way home Jacksonville, I stopped by my friend Tara’s going away party (you can see her blog on
www.taralpeterson.blogspot.com ). Sadly, Tara will be leaving to teach in Guadalajara, Mexico three days after I leave, and although it was really fun, it was also really hard being at her party, because it is thrown in her honor because she is leaving.I guess it was then that it hit me—I have always been the one leaving all my life really. I’ve left for big trips, college, and now Honduras…but all of my goodbyes have seemed to be easier because although I was saying goodbye, I had something completely awesome waiting for me on the other side of that car ride or plane ride. Now I have a friend…a really good friend, who is moving 2,000 miles away and I’m seeing a little bit more of what its like to be on the receiving end of that goodbye for a change. I’ve got 2 weeks left until I go, and I think that the rest of this time will be like this weekend….bittersweet. Just how I like my chocolate.

P.S. Doesn't seeing this guy just make you happy? I mean look at him! He's in front of a swat team wearing a pink bodybuit riding a unicycle!


2 comments:

Tara said...

Bittersweet just about sums it up. But we know that we aren't saying goodbye. Not in the slightest.

Anonymous said...

I had so much fun that weekend in the Riverside "Mansion" with you!! I'm so glad we got to hang out before you left :) Miss you! ~Taylor