6/17/2006

The Summer of In-Between

There is something slightly magical about summer...summer romances, summer adventures--it seems as if you can take a temporary break from your life during these three months, do things not normally in your character or even things you'd like to admit to, and simply dismiss it all due to the heat, the night, or even the bugs. There is the famous "Summer of Love" in 1969 and the self-proclaimed "Summer of George" from Seinfeld, but it seems like my summer thus far has yet to live up to its potential. Don't get me wrong... I was able to take an amazing trip to Ireland, (which you can view pictures from my trip on the link) and I lived it up over there! I will never forget the cliffs, the sheep, the pubs, or the people; but I think returning home from such an amazing trip to face three months of working a summer retail job is starting to set in for me.
I feel so ready, yet slightly terrified, to start the task that lies before me: moving to a third-world country to be one in a city of 3 million people where I will be responsible for teaching 25 kindergarteners all that they will need to know to enter into 1st grade. While I used to see the "Everything I Needed to Know in Life I Learned in Kindergarten" posters as inspiring, I now see them as something to make me feel inadequate and terrified. I mean, I must truly be crazy to take on such an endeavor, but perhaps it is more terrifying to think of living out my 20's by just living from paycheck to paycheck in a rental house in yuppie-ville u.s.a. Maybe I'm crazy, but maybe---just maybe---I may be brilliant in blowing these years of my life, which are prime for saving and building a financial foundation for both a future home and family, and tossing them to the wind with reckless abandon as I sell my things and board a plane with a backpack, a one-way ticket, and big dreams to change the world.
While it is just barely into June, I know that I am here for a reason. God is definitely prepping me...I am finally able to catch up on my "Divine Deficit" i.e. "churchy life" from college. God moved in awesome and miraculous ways in my life during college, most of which got me to the point where I am at today, but I missed out on some of the basics, like actually going to church during my 4 years there. So not everything about this summer so far is really as bad as I may have led you to believe a couple of paragraphs ago...I'm just ready to go. It would be like hearing from a psychic that the man of your dreams will be everything that you're looking for and so much more, but it will be 10 more years until you meet him--hard to enjoy and fully live life up until that point. But these are the times to savor, and like sand in the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. (Did I mention I've been subjecting myself to soap operas for the past few weeks??)

3 comments:

Tara said...

My dearest Macayla.
No one could have stated it better. After I talked to you on the phone I had a few minutes of mild depression at the thought that I gave up a chance to be with you in Honduras. I will miss you so much, but I'm confidant that we will both do amazing and will certainly keep in touch. After all, you have to keep me inspired like you just did.
I love you,
Tara

Brad and Megan said...

Hey Macayla -

I was flipping through random blogs and came across yours. My wife and I have been teaching here in Honduras for the past year at a small private school called Instituto Gran Comision. We've had an amazing experience here together, and if there's anything you'd like to know about the city, surrounding area or whatever, just let us know!

Anonymous said...

Macayla,
I am finally getting around to reading your blog. I am so excited for you and know that you will do great things for those children. I wish we could have kept in touch more/had more time to spend together before you left... after all, I only lived 15 minutes from you, as compared to the now.... I don't even know how many hours! Hopefully I will get to see you soon. My cousin Andrew (the one in Switzerland) just got back from his mission trip to Ecuador. He spent 4 months there (he is taking a year's hiatus before university in England) and was amazed at the people he met and how happy they all seemed given the poor conditions. I know that you will do great things and that God will help you along the way, always guiding you.
With love,
Colie Wolie