9/19/2006

Dia de Independencia

Since our Independence Day falls in July in the U.S., we do not have the opportunity to celebrate real patriotism during the school year. However, Honduras along with the rest of Central America celebrate their independence from Spain on September 15th. Since an entire region of the world was given independence on this day, it is a big deal here! At Los Pinares, students prepare for about a month for all of the festivities that the day brings. Traditional foods are cooked and served, older students give presentations to the younger students about traditional art, customs, holidays, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and I even got to here a live marimba band and see traditional dancers. Not to mention that the kids were adorable!

The picture on bottom is of Victor, one of my kindergarten students. Only in Honduras can you allow children to bring machetes to school all in the name of patriotism. It wasn't a real machete, just a wooden one in a real holster...However, coming from the states when you can practically get expelled for drawing a gun or even thinking the word "knife" this was quite the change. Vive Honduras!

The other students are not from my class, but they were so cute that I couldn't help but take their picture.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures.I know you are an awesome teacher because you have so much love in your heart for people..and you are very smart..I enjoy reading your blog.
You are always on my heart..GRPsr